AWE Water Distribution O&M
(Click Below for a Printer Friendly Version)
The Academy of Water Education is the on-site training center of the California Rural Water Association. Our field-experienced instructors know the ins and outs of being an operator and bring their practical knowledge to the classroom. Courses are taught in classroom and hands-on workshop settings. Our approach is unique and takes the learning experience from theoretical to practical.
Location: CRWA Training Headquarters, 1234 North Market Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95834
Schedule: Sign-in is 7:45am on Monday. Class is Monday-Thursday 8am-5pm, and Friday 8am-12pm. Lunch provided daily.
Contact Hours: Students may earn 36 Water Contact Hours or 3.6 IACET Continuing Education Units and 36 REHS/CEUs.
Class Information: This course prepares students to take the Grade 1 or Grade 2 Water Distribution Operator exam.
This course satisfies the 36 hour (3-unit) Specialized Training Requirement for the Grade 2 Water Distribution Operator exam.
There are no prerequisites for this course. Class materials and a calculator with a ten-digit display will be provided.
Upon successful completion of class, students will be able to:
- Define pipe maintenance and pipe features.
- Explain reducing agents, trihalomethanes, and breakpoint chlorination.
- Identify the different types of chlorine equipment and their uses.
- Explain basic distribution system construction and design.
- Summarize the factors that influence disinfection and describe the various types of disinfectants.
- Identify the importance of proper system surveillance, water quality monitoring, and cross connection.
- Explain the significance of lock out/tag out standards.
- Calculate square feet, cubic feet, volume, conversion of flows, pounds formula, mg/L, velocity, detention time and pressure.
- Understand and explain basic regulatory requirements as they relate to the operation of a distribution system.
- Identify the importance of sampling and sampling plans, and demonstrate proper sampling procedures.